Sunday, April 25, 2010

Can ';homage to my hips'; be read as an attack on our culture's generally accepted standards of beauty?

can you also compare the speaker of ';homage to my hips'; to the speaker of Cisnero's ';Pumkin Eater'; ?





Gracias! =DCan ';homage to my hips'; be read as an attack on our culture's generally accepted standards of beauty?
If you're referring to the poem by Lucille Clifton, I wouldn't call it anything as strong as an attack--just a firm defense of one's right to be shaped like a woman.Can ';homage to my hips'; be read as an attack on our culture's generally accepted standards of beauty?
';Homage to my Hips'; is a celebration of living in one's skin. The culture at large encourages a woman to view her body as an object to be controlled, criticized and used. ';The best defense is a good offense'; right? So rather than take a negative point of view, the poet celebrates her body and the joy of living in it.


I have never read Sandra Cisnero's ';Pumpkin Eater'; but several reviews of the volume it was published in, ';Loose Women'; suggest that the poetry is very political. ';Homage to My Hips'; is a personal poem that has cultural and political implications. Is it possible that Cisnero wrote a political poem with personal implications?

No comments:

Post a Comment